Lengthy catch up blog as webmaster has been busy with new grandchild!
* How about a fun bowls evening at the Rec one summer evening? With partners or without. It doesn't matter if you don't think you can play - you will be surprised how good you are. Let me know if you are interetsed in principle and I will get some dates from Dud and Marion Ginn.
* Small world. Last week we unearthed the Beech Thomas grave, today on the radio they were talking about the WW1 trenches satirical paper and they mentioned that it took the mickey out of Beech Thomas, who was an official WW1 war correspondent, and allegedly completely useless. There is a book out and a play opens this week. '('Wipers Weekly''?). Might be worth getting hold of a copy.
* I received the £200 donation from the Boot last week.
Progress Wednesday 8th March
We raised up four grave surrounds. Excellent work.
Friday 24th March Lining Roof and Walls 0930 Memorial Hall
Friday 7th April Lining Roof and Walls 0930 Memorial Hall
Monday 24th April Art Show Screens up (assumed)
Friday 28th April Coffee Morning Dacre Rooms 0930 to 1200
Tuesday 2nd May Art Show screens down
Friday 19th May Coffee Morning Dacre Rooms 0930 to 1200
Friday 23rd June Coffee Morning Dacre Rooms 0930 to 1200
Friday 28th July Coffee Morning Dacre Rooms 0930 to 1200
Sunday 30th July Horse Show gate and parking
Friday 4th August Lining Roof and Walls 0930 Memorial Hall
Friday 18th August Coffee Morning Dacre Rooms 0930 to 1200
Friday 1st September Tables out for Autumn Show
Saturday September 2nd Tables away for Autumn Show and games in the garden?
Friday 22nd September Lining Roof and Walls 0930 Memorial Hall
October Lining Roof and Walls. Date awaited
22nd February ic/1567th
Today, we had nine BWP members at the school (although one went home early). I don't know if there were other teams working elsewhere.
We had a huge number of kids to deal with - all incredibly enthusiastic - so many thanks to the BWP members and the teachers.
We did many jobs;
- painting tyres to make potato planters
- digging over the four raised beds
- digging out the good compost for the above beds and filling another compost bin
- constructing five bean wigwams
- adding to the willow fence with some fresh wands
- laying two trailer-fulls of bark chippings ( there is a patch of path that has not been done as there is too much grass on it, so I will weedkill that part prior to laying more chippings).
- staining the four planting boxes beside a classroom.
- clearing some stones from around the mound of soil.
The school was very appreciative and I have received a thank-you text from Jenny.
Coffee was taken in the staffroom with refreshments supplied by the staff, to whom many thanks.
Progress Wednesday 8th February
We set out the tables for the WI do, we put a second coat of paint on the church flower stands, we had a BIG bonfire, we removed and took to the bonfire two trailer loads of ivy and hedge cuttings from the Parkfield Rec car park area. At the Memorial Hall we fixed the sound loop mike to the ceiling in the Lounge, made the Green Room-entrance-outside-light only work at night, mended the ladies loo lock (but it might need another grub screw to fix it properly). We removed a bulb in the Green Room that was flickering. Jon M has since bought a replacement. Les had done some overtime work in the Dacre Rooms in the week before,making cupboards upstairs. Pete D has been busy during overtime taking ivy off trees in the roadway leading up to Parkfield Rec.On Thursday morning we put the WI tables away again.
Progress Last Wed 25th January
Weather against us but............
We replaced Bonnie's old landline number on the Church notice board with her mobile number. We replaced the wheel on the play equipment in the Rec, we fitted the hooks to hang the blackout curtains in the Dacre Rooms and made the main door not scratch on the floor, helped Kate with some marking out of table tops, did some de-graffit-ing, We tried to have a bonfire at the top of the Rec, but no go.
We had a pleasantly warm coffee in the D Rooms - thank John and David, it was very comfortable
We presented Simon with his richly deserved trophy, and hope he takes good care of it.
Last Wednesday 18th Jan I/C 3 Report
''Salt in bins topped up.
Lamp at entrance to Green Room replaced and PIR reset. There was 1 spare in the Boiler Room. (I have the packet with lamp details, suggest we get the equivalent LED as a spare)
Les & David looked at the Church Notice Board
As far as I know, everyone else worked hard in the sunshine up at the Rec to keep warm''
Progress Wednesday 9th January
We removed the curtains from the Church House windows to clear the way for the replacements, we cleared the Rec boot brush of mud, again. We had a new tool made for the Rec play equipment wheel, and John M took it off but needed a washer to make it work properly, we cleared more wood from the East hedge and had a monster bonfire - here Andy is mentioned in dispatches because he stayed with the bonfire through our coffee and bread pudding break and managed to get it all cleared. We made the football dugout bench less wobbly by putting a beam under it (quite a big job). We tightened up the Rec gates bolts again. We took the Xmas lights down at the school.